Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Introduction of an unemployed, uninsured, highly flatulent gimp

Hello World!  Allow me to introduce myself, Barefoot and Pregnant in the Kitchen.  I suppose an explanation is due as far as my name goes, seeing as how although I may be barefoot at the present moment,but  I am certainly not pregnant and, at the moment, not in the kitchen.  Sitting here, searching for a zany political or otherwise joke on line and reflecting on the motivation to begin this blog, which will be discussed in my next post, I was suddenly bombarded by a generally not-so-welcome memory.  An ex of mine, several years back, "jokingly" commented several times on how a woman's proper place is "...barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen."  I smirked then as much as I do now at the thought of this man-boy telling an incredibly ambitious and idealistic 21 year old college student studying political science and international relations with future plans of saving the world that her proper place in life was barefoot and pregnant, happily preparing a delicious and nutritious meal for her thankless (and oafy) husband.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not really that much of a man-hating, anti-family woe-er of overpopulation.  It may be a possibility sometime in my life that I may actually be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. In fact, if I ever am pregnant, I wouldn't be very surprised to find myself in such a predicament.  It's really just the irony of the time at which this comment was made that makes me smile.  The fact that I was bright eyed about my future...forging ahead to make changes and to become a Somebody...and maybe, somewhere down the line, I would begin a family. But that was the furthest thing from my mind at that point.

So here I am now, a 24 year old college graduate, barefoot and gassy in the spare bedroom of my Aunt's house...unemployed, uninsured and recovering from a broken ankle.  My ambitions have dulled a bit, seeing as how I've been out of school for over a year and still can't get a non-restaurant job, but I am still forging ahead, still not barefoot and pregnant in a kitchen!

Nice to meet you! 

3 comments:

Claire said...

you have a blog and you're not afraid to use it!

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Wow, really good writing - must be genetic ;) Welcome to the blogosphere.

Barefoot and Pregnant in the Kitchen said...

Thank you for the warm welcomes. It clearly must be genetic!