Saturday, August 30, 2008

Another note on Palin

I just received an e-mail from MoveOn.org with information about Sarah Palin, all of which only contributed my previous woes about her inexperience.  Apparently, Palin has only been governor of Alaska for about a year and a half, and before she held that position she served as mayor of Wasilla, a small town outside of Anchorage.  According to the e-mail, McCain had only spoken with Palin once before choosing her as his running mate.  She is an incredibly right-wing conservative...she is against abortion even in cases of rape or incest.  However, personal morals aside, the woman, as stated in my last blog post, is completely unprepared to be our VP.  She seems to have no experience outside of Alaska.

Now, as much as I want to believe those on the same side as me, I have to remain open to the other side.  Obviously MoveOn.org is going to bash Palin, just as they bash everything else about McCain's campaign....that's their job.  So I went to McCain's campaign homepage.  (www.johnmccain.com)  I figured it would be only right and only fair (or only strengthen mine and MoveOn.org's arguments) to do my research on Palin.  I went to the page that was supposed to have info about her, and all I found was her totally unimpressive acceptance speech.  In it, she discusses her career as a "hockey mom", PTA member and eventual life in politics, beginning as city council member, then mayor of her hometown and finally governor of Alaska.  As stated earlier, these are all admirable posts to hold, but where did I miss her credentials for the position of VP?  It makes me wonder again: What the hell was McCain thinking when he choose her??  What could his strategy possibly have been in this decision making process?  Steal Clinton supporters?  With a woman who is as much of a hard line conservative as she is?

My fears that this may have been the motive were only strengthened when I read this statement toward the end of her acceptance speech: 

"It was rightly noted in Denver this week that Hillary left 18 million cracks in the highest, hardest glass ceiling in America.  But it turns out the women of America aren't finished yet, and we can shatter that glass ceiling once and for all."
(www.johnmccain.com/about/governorpalin.htm)

You're right Palin, the women of America aren't finished yet, and we can shatter that glass ceiling once and for all.  But it's certainly not going to be shattered by a ploy--a simple trick for simple minded Clinton supporters blindly following McCain's dribble without giving it any thought, any consideration.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, Hillary Clinton should be offended, as should all those who support Hillary.  

No comments: